Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Waiting (Reprise)

Well, I’m waiting to hear from the Senior VP, with no idea what he’s going to say to me. It’s kind of like getting called to the principal’s office. It’s not always for something bad, but until you find out for yourself, it’s a little intimidating. So I’m wrapping up my revised methodology (which is, I think, much better than the last one, fortunately), and will then…sit here, I guess. I think I’m getting a cold or allergies or something, and I’m feeling a little run down. That coupled with nowhere near enough sleep last night has me seriously dragging and feeling kind of lousy. I will, however, try to make myself go running when I get home – it’s good for what ails you. Although, not always good for what ails you if you’re really sick. We’ll see how it goes.

I’ll be home in less than a month – tra-la-la!

I think I’ve decided that, if I stay, I will go with the nice hotel option. I’ll be like Eloise (one of my favorite books as a kid), except I’ll have a real job to do, and no nanny. They probably also won’t let me keep a turtle, but that’s okay, I don’t think I could call a pet “Weenie” anyway. Let’s face it, it’s not like this option is going to be an option wherever else I may be going for work, so why not? This is, of course, subject to change since I haven’t entered “decision” mode yet – I’m still weighing options. But the Eloise option is kinda fun to think about.

One of my officemates has her cell phone on. Fair enough, all of us do here. But it’s loud. And she’s getting calls from people she doesn’t want to talk to. So instead of setting the phone to “silent”, she just ignores it, because she doesn’t know how to mute the ringer. So it rings, and rings, and rings. Then a few minutes later it starts ringing again. It’s enough to drive a girl INSANE. At least, a girl like me.

There’s a girl I’ve seen quite a lot in the tailor shop that I’ve frequented since I’ve been here, and while we were waiting for the tailor to arrive today (I’ve had them make me a luurvely suit, but the jacket still needs a little work), we got to talking. She’s very nice, and after we chatted for a while, she asked if I was usually busy at night, and I said that no, generally I wasn’t. She asked if I would mind helping her learn English, and I said I’d be happy to, so we exchanged information. I think, first of all, it would be fun and a much better way to spend an evening or three than sitting in the apartment, slack-jawed in front of the TV, but also it would be fun to make a friend here. She’s probably a little younger than me, but I can’t tell by how much. I’d say she’s in her early 20s, maybe? But she moved here by herself a couple of years ago from her hometown, which is a small, historic town outside of Danang. She actually said I should visit there if I had more time, so I’ve made a mental note for the fall. (Still not a peep from the Senior VP dude.) Besides, if I help her with her English, which is actually pretty good, maybe she can help me learn some Vietnamese. (I have a feeling that she’ll be a better student than I will, but no harm in trying.) It’ll be fun to see what happens.

Done with the methodology revisions…the waiting continues. Well really…recommences. Here’s hoping that the PM doesn’t read it and say “DUMKOPF! I knew you couldn’t do zis! Vhot iss diss rrubbish?? Okay, I doubt he’d say that, or at least not that way, but I really hope he doesn’t think it, either. Just got an e-mail from my boss saying that the Senior VP in question said I was not to return here…so I have no idea what’s going on, because he still has not said anything to me. In fact, no one has. Now I’m paranoid that it’s got something to do with me, or my job performance. I don’t know. I do much better if people are straightforward with me, and that’s not happening. It’s very frustrating, to say the least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home