Thursday, April 24, 2008

Serendipity

There are many things that I love about my short, sassy haircut. It’s easy - I can go from “hag who frightens children” to “fabulous” (or at least “hag who doesn’t frighten children”) in about 10 – 15 minutes, whereas with long hair, it can take considerably more time to be presentable. It’s entertaining – sometimes I wake up with the most awesome bed head. Sticking out at alarming angles, defying gravity, and looking as though it could provide inspiration for a medieval torture device. And this morning, it proved itself to be very creative. I sat up and looked at myself in the mirror, squinted a little, and my reflection slowly came into focus in the dim morning light.

My hair looked awesome. A little re-arranging of a couple errant pieces, and it was done.

Seriously – if I had tried to make it look this cool, I would have failed miserably. It’s funky, but not scary, it’s still somewhat smooth from having been straightened yesterday, but it’s got some wave to it. It just…oh, it looks so cool.

The sad part is that I can’t imagine I’ll be able to really re-create this on my own. I’m hopelessly unskilled. I felt a little weird about coming to work without having invested a little more time in my appearance, and I asked Special K to do a sanity check and tell me if it looked like bed head. Now, I tend to take his opinion of my appearance with a grain of salt, since he’s often too generous. And statements like “you would look hot in ____” (describing some absurdly tiny outfit) or “you could totally go braless in that” only serve to underscore my belief that we differ drastically on what is considered to be acceptable in terms of my appearance, much as I love him. But he, vaguely resembling a koala since he himself had just woken up, was the only game in town this morning, and he assured me that it looked good.

So for today, I am proudly rockin’ the world’s coolest bed head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home