Tuesday, May 27, 2008

So, What's the Hold Up?

I have ideas about what I’d like my life to look like – not necessarily in terms of aesthetics, but in terms of how I would like to spend my time. Special K and I don’t watch much TV anymore since we don’t have cable, so we mostly just watch what we order on Netflix. I actually really like this because, as much as I miss some of the cool programs on the Travel Channel or the Food Network, it means that we get to see movies that I would otherwise be too lazy to see. So we’ve seen some great classic movies, foreign films, and documentaries, in addition to the fun popcorn movies like Transformers. But I seldom get around to reading anymore, which used to be the best part about my Metro-based commute. I’m trying to squeeze it in, but it’s harder.

I’d like to spend more time volunteering with the Rape Crisis Center, but I’ve been completely half-assed about it for a while now – it always seemed like there was some life transition or other that was taking over my ability to concentrate and devote that bit of extra time. Being briefly incapacitated by a back injury, getting married, having the summer from Hell with family health problems, money stress, and a jam-packed schedule, having said schedule continue well into the fall and winter, and now – starting a new job. I’ve taken shifts, but I don’t think I’ve been to supervision at the center for years, it feels like something is always happening. Right now the only thing I volunteer my time to is church, and while Special K and I do invest a good part of our time into supporting the church and church activities, I’d like to do more.

I’d like to take better care of myself, because I know I’m not doing a good enough job. Exercise is always the first thing to get chucked and it really should be the last, because it provides such huge mental and physical benefits. But it falls by the wayside in the face of deadlines, commitments, 2 – 3 hour commutes, and early appointments.

I used to be really good about remembering birthdays and other special days, and it feels like I haven’t been for a long time. I’m making more of an effort to be good about that again, and I’m also making an effort to be better about things like thank you notes and sending cards and stuff. I know I appreciate it when others are thoughtful, so that kind of seems like a good cue to attempt to be thoughtful myself.

But I just feel like I have no time to do all this. Which is ridiculous, because I have the same number of hours given to me in a day as everyone else. So when I get home and the pile of ironing is no smaller than it was yesterday, the kitchen needs to be cleaned, there’s more laundry to do, and I’ve neither read for pleasure, nor donated some time to a worthy cause, nor spent any time exercising, I just start to feel as though I’m a failure for not being able to live my life the way I want to live it. There is a part of me that says that I need to chill out; that I spent the majority of my 20s overextending myself because of a pathological need to stay busy and feel needed. But it just feels like other people are able to do all these things, so why can’t I? And furthermore, what on earth is going to happen when we have kids? I can only imagine the chaos will multiply.

Post-feminist guilt, perhaps? And I do it to myself – I know that Special K doesn’t expect me to do all this stuff by myself, because he sees us as having a partnership. I do, too – but I still have this weird feeling like I should be able to do all those things and hold down my full-time, demanding job, because I see other people who can. But it actually turns out that most of those people have a maid service or never cook or are in some other way human. So maybe no one can really do all of it; not for a sustained period of time, anyway.

Ah…the things I never thought I’d care about.

6 Comments:

Blogger John Das Binky said...

Blame the perpetuation of the myth that we can have it all and we can do it all. It's a myth that sells a lot of magazines, products and services, and it's a powerfully enticing myth.

It's all a tradeoff, but as my twenties left, I found that "time for myself" really started to become a bigger priority than altrusim or social ideals. Caring for two little humans takes enough out of me.

Literally spending an afternoon prioritizing what do I want to do with my time? was a real eye opener. Going on the assumption that you only have a maximum of maybe 30 hours per week to play with (maybe 3 hours per weeknight and fifteen hours on weekends) with a minimum of about 1/4 of that dedicated to "sitting on the couch re-energizing and enjoying the company of my spouse" brought out the realities. And kids blew those realities out of the water again.

Those people you see who you THINK are doing everything usually aren't. All of us play by different rules, and their priorities will always be different than yours. (I remember a couple we were always hugely jealous of because of their travel plans, until we discovered they had zero money saved for retirement and a $40,000 credit card debt. Which was fine with them.) Like the movie says, Reality Bites.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tell myself every morning, "Whatever doesn't get accomplished is your fault, and your fault alone." Is that why I have so much guilt?

Or, just do what you can and leave the rest to faith. Either way, we're all dead in the end.
MadCity

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like we're living the same life. But then, it's possible everyone is, with all of us wondering all the time how we're going to get everything done.

It's just been in the past couple weeks that it's occurred to me that maybe I'm trying to do too much. Rather than figure out how I'm going to fit it all in (which sometimes has the nasty side effect of making me expect too much from other people -- I want them to do some of it too), I am trying to figure out what I can _not_ do. This won't work for everything, but having a new perspective seems like a useful tool.

I also got a book out from the library, Women Who Do Too Much. You might find it useful. (It also happens to have a Christian angle to it. I don't normally read "Christian" books, but the title really called out to me!)

One of the things it recommends is setting your lifelong goals, and then working from them to figure out your near-term prioritized tasks. This struck me as quite ironic -- as did your e-mail. I mean, here we are, me, you, MadCity, other friends of ours, _planners_, and have we really "visioned" our own lives? I haven't. I got the Ph.D. -- now what?

The first lifelong goal that came to mind for me: to organically grow and/or harvest all the vegetables and fruits I eat.

(Near-term I also do want to keep this job -- even if long-term that's not a great idea -- so I'd better get back to work.)

- Shazza

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shazza, John, A, you are all insightful. I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with all of this crap. At some point, something's gotta give. It already started earlier this year when I dropped one of the groups I was involved with. Not great fun, but I had a little more time for something that mattered more.

Back to drinkin' cuz it keeps the pain at bay....
Madcity

9:26 AM  
Blogger stgoebel said...

As my wise Mother-In-Law once said, "Seasons."

Life grows and evolves into things we never even dreamed of. Good and bad. I'm glad for the storms of restlessness because it causes us to think and get off of our butts.

I would encourage you to think about what you want to change in the next season (of summer, perhaps?) with the time, availability and emotional energy you have.

We're cheering you on all the way! LOVE!!!!!!!!

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interestingly, the "Women Who Do Too Much" book also refers to seasons. Not the four seasons. Things like marriage before kids, when the kids are young, when the kids are teenagers, when the kids are out of the house, and perhaps there were more divisions after that -- the point is you make up your own. Since I don't anticipate kids dividing up my own years into particular time periods, I don't have well-defined "seasons" for myself. This is not to say that my "lifelong" goals won't change over time, though. The book also talks about periodically re-evaluating goals and your progress towards them.

- Shazza

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home