Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Not Fair

So, I had a doctor's appointment today. With my orthopedist. Because I'm doing everything that I think I'm supposed to be doing, and I'm still getting back pain - pain which has, by the way, been getting worse.

Yes, I probably lift things that are heavier than I should lift on occasion, but I rarely wear high heels, I've taken to wearing sensible shoes to work and keeping more work-appropriate shoes at my desk, I don't run anymore, I walk, swim, weight train, and do isometric exercises for my back, I have a little freaking orthopedic seat cushion that I keep to make my incredibly uncomfortable desk chair a little more tolerable. I try to take care of myself, and my body keeps telling me to piss off.

So I need to make an appointment with a physical therapist and talk to my doctor again in a month. And I need to try not to get too bitter and overwhelmed and scared that I'll be right back where I was in December 2006, but I'm feeling some familiar pain, and you know what? Right now, it feels like it's not f*cking fair. There are so many people in the world who are perfectly capable of being as active as they want to be, and they do nothing. I want to run and I can't. I want to do a triathlon one day and I can't. I want to go through a full day without pain, and lately, I can't. So there's my pity party. Please help yourself to some hors d'oeuvres.

I know that I don't know anything for certain just yet, so it's far too early to be playing Chicken Little. I am self-aware enough to know that, even if I have re-injured myself, this will not be a tragedy. I will still have the use of my limbs and still, in the grand scheme of life, be a very lucky person for being in generally good health, having access to good medical care, and having a support network of people who love me and can help me if I can ever possibly learn to be good at asking for help. I know this - I really, really know this. So I hope you'll forgive my moments of weakness and self-indulgence when I say that the thought of going through this again just makes me want to cry.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on keepin' on. I know it'll turn around. Just a setback, but it'll all come around. I know how much it sucks (although not quite as badly as you've had it....). We'll keep you (and your back) in our thoughts and prayers.
Madcity
p.s. Just remember, if you're body trys to give you crap, you can punish it with alcohol pain pills. I'll even come out there and make you a Brett Favre Smoothie (vicodin, whiskey, and ice cream)

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home