Monday, August 25, 2008

Reflections

I was sitting by the pool this afternoon, heavily squinting in the sunshine as I read (and finished) my book in between refreshing dips in the pool. Basking away there under the bright, tropical sun, slathered in SPF 50 sweatproof sunblock, I just couldn’t get away from one thought. I really, really miss Special K. I know it sounds cheesy, and I do apologize if any of you throw up in your mouths a little, but you’ll either have to stop reading or bear with me. It’s just that, even when we’re stressed out and I’m being pissy (because, let’s face it, it’s usually me being pissy), I always have more fun with him. I guess that’s what happens when you marry your best friend – you get to be with them all the time, and then when you don’t, it feels like there’s something missing, and then you realize that it’s them. It doesn’t kill you or mean that you cease to function or anything, but it’s just…not what it could be.

And then you wonder how on earth you got to be such a huge cheese ball.

And then you decide to just ride that wave, because you’ve already learned to embrace your inner (and outer) geek, so this should be pretty easy to swallow in comparison.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marie and Charlie said...

Okay, I threw up WAY more than a little...good gravy you're a cheeseball.

Secretly, I know just what you mean and couldn't agree more :)

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Threw up in my mouth (a lot). But, also recognize. My Special K (they are TOTALLY different people) is away for 2 of the next 3 weeks...)
Madcity

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm . . . did you say this was a _business_ trip? - Shaz

5:58 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Oh, it actually is a work trip. But when work time starts at 7 am and you're done by 4, there's still some time to soak up the sun for a wee bit before heading back into the business center. :)

For example...I want to go kayaking this afternoon. I was up at 5 am, and will be meeting up again with my co-worker at 6 pm to strategize for tomorrow. But I'm trying to squeeze some fun time into all this, too!

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home