Sunday, June 05, 2005

Be on the lookout!

I have seen this music video here that is the funniest, most bizarre thing I've ever beheld, and apparently it's quite popular and climbing the charts in the US. The song is called Rock the Party, by the Bombay Rockers, and it's quite catchy, if generic. But the video...ah, the video. It shows these two guys, presumably the Bombay Rockers, drive into a parking garage, and get into this rumble of sorts. With a bunch of guys dressed up in huge mascot-style animal suits. Just so you don't get confused, they will freeze frame the animal guys in the middle of their martial arts wire-work butt kicking to let you know their names. Among them are "Mr. Psycho Horse", "Bird Reynolds", and "Rabbit Royale". So, since this is a chart-topper in the making, keep your eyes peeled kids (what a revolting phrase...), you heard it here first!

I had lunch today with a gentleman who does a lot of business with our company, and his wife. He called me a few days ago, which I knew that he would, and said that he was told he should act as my "protector" while I'm in Pakistan, and that if I ever needed anything, he would take care of it for me. Although I had to chuckle at the phrase, I certainly appreciate the offer. And, although he is quite a bit older than me, his wife, by happy coincidence, is a couple of years younger than me, and has said that any time I'd like to go shopping, she'd love to take me. Oh, the trouble I could get into - they have beautiful sandals here, you know. I'm hoping that Pakistani women have small feet and that my big ol' American feet will be hard to shop for.

Okay, that's a total lie.

In any event, they were both very nice and we had a lovely conversation over lunch. We were at Avari Towers, which is a fancy-schmancy hotel in town, and one that is, I'm guessing, frequented by a lot of European guests. I say this because our table overlooked the swimming pool, and I haven't seen that many men in teeny-tiny Speedos since the time I made the unfortunate decision to use the pool at my gym on a Friday night. You don't make that mistake twice, let me tell you.

At lunch, they asked me if I was here alone (lots of people ask that), and I said "yes". They also asked if I was married or engaged (lots of people ask that, too), and I said "no". They then asked if that made me sad, and I laughed. I said that, all things considered, I was quite lucky for my life to look as it does at the moment, and although they seemed a little puzzled, that seemed to satisfy them. But I have to remember that, in a country where women live with their parents until they get married, my situation is quite unusual, to say the least.

I went to the pool today and, though I was the only person there, had a very nice time. My swimming is really coming along, and I have some actual color on my skin, much to my astonishment. I mean, I'm sure that if you put me next to most other people, I would still be "practically blue", as Lois would say, but in light of my theory that I have two colors, white and red, I'm going for something between "corpse" and "burn victim", because I've heard that such a thing exists.

For those of you who do a lot of international traveling (Marcie and Andrew come to mind), I just made the most delightful discovery. "The Daily Show" has a "Global Edition" on CNN. It made for a lovely afternoon as I struggled with the food coma that followed my enormous lunch.

I would love to say that I'm off to do something cultural and intellectually stimulating, but the truth is that there's an episode of "Scrubs" on, and it's one of the ones with Scott Foley, who is totally dreamy, so I'm going to go curl up in front of the TV. I'm not proud of that. But it's still true.

I'll be off, then.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you're keeping up with your American boyfriends, Jon and Zach! I'm intrigued by this Tuesday-Thursday dart night plan. Perhaps you'll come back with an astounding new party trick!

Hope you're feeling better -- and no worries, I checked in over the weekend and your babies appear to be doing just fine. We're all giving them extra cuddles until their Mom comes back home! ;-)

Stef

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home