Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Now, why didn't I think of that?

I got a lovely package today from my roommate, Marie (thank you so much, by the way!). When it went through customs, they opened it, which wasn’t terribly surprising, despite Marie’s careful and meticulous documentation of the contents of the package. And even despite her writing “TAMPONS” very clearly as part of the contents and liberally distributing them throughout the box – as that’s a common way to deter male customs officials in this part of the world from truly ransacking whatever it is they’re “examining”. But what struck me as hilarious was that they then charged me a repackaging fee. It was only 10 rupees (so, approximately 15 cents), but I thought that was the most ingenious way I’ve ever heard of to generate revenue.

Life in Pakistan is many things, but it is certainly not dull.

The other day, we were driving to the office, and as we drove through the intersection in fits and starts, I said “Um…Hamid? Are the traffic lights out?” and he said “Yes, Miss! No signal!” The funny thing was that I really didn’t notice right away. I would have to nominate the guys in white uniforms who stand out in the middle of the road directing traffic all day for the “You Cannot Possibly Be Paid Enough For What You Do” award. Because as I’ve mentioned before, I’ve noticed that things like lines on the road and traffic signals appear to be taken more as friendly suggestions here than actual “rules”. It’s interesting enough when the signals are working. When they’re not, it’s a curiously civilized “every man for himself” game. Whoever looks from left to right the least, thereby showing the least developed sense of self-preservation, wins by making it through the intersection the fastest. I’ve also noticed that, at one intersection in particular, if the turn lane is just too full of people, the common solution is to just get onto the other side of the road and make your turn when the light is mostly green. I say mostly green because here yellow lights appear not only before a light turns red, but also before it turns green.

I had another meeting today about the situation with G-man, and I really hate the fact that any of this is happening in the first place, because I don’t want to be the main attraction here, I just want to do my freaking job. Apparently, our project manager is going to speak with G-man’s superior, who will then take the matter up with G-man. There is no possible way that this won’t make working with him a heck of a lot more awkward. Although, the alternative is for me to continue to deal with G-man’s inappropriate behavior just to make him feel more comfortable – and I don’t really like that option, either. So I suppose, if I have to take sides here, I’m taking my side. Because just wishing that G-man had a different personality and personal code of conduct isn’t going to do the trick. I tend to have an aversion to “being rescued” as most of you probably know, but I guess that this is the way this has to go.

Okay – just to wrap things up on a high note here, the following is a direct translation of the introduction to the budget speech that we saw in “Dawn”, an English-language newspaper here.

“Budget is presented every year and, God willing, till such time that this world exists, the budget of Pakistan will continue to be presented.”

Nothin’ like a little drama to spice up a budget speech. I wonder if they had interpretive dance, too?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If he wants to spend so much time with you, invite G-dog to a friendly game of Taser Tag. After you have crisped him a couple of time, that could set the tone for future conversations.

Or, since they seem to be the cryptonite of men there, you could have a salwar kameez made entirely of tampons.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in egypt, they said the lines on the road were for "decoration." they also told a story about a car that hit a camel and when they went to court, the judge asked if the car had honked. Either it did or it didn't, I can't remember, but now the story is told to explain why they honk their horns constantly.

and that, grasshopper, is the lesson for the day.

love, a

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home