Friday, July 22, 2005

Non-Sequitur

It’s funny where my mind wanders when I’m tired (slept really poorly last night as well). I started out after lunch thinking about how I was tired. Then I started thinking about how I wanted to go to sleep, and how the bed at the apartment is really uncomfortable. And then I thought “hey…maybe I should get new bedding…” So, here I am, sitting at my desk, having just taken far too long to produce a simple letter of introduction requesting a meeting with our client, trying desperately to stay awake, and daydreaming about what kind of new linens I’d like to get. Does it help at all that I actually realize that I’m being pathetic? Do I get points for self-awareness?

I *do* actually get work done, I’m not a total waste of space and air, but today my brain keeps saying “oh, look! A shiny object!”, thereby making it impossible for me to concentrate on the task at hand. That’s okay, though – my calendar for the rest of the day isn’t exactly full – then D and I figure out what we’re doing this weekend. That part should be fun, actually.

I found some pictures that the PM had taken on his tour of the project area. They’re cool to see, so I’ve included them for your viewing pleasure. Kind of gives you an idea about life in rural Vietnam. It’s not uncommon to see large tarps spread out along the side of the road with rice drying on them. Traffic is seldom heavy enough to make this a really big problem, and if two cars just happen to be trying to approach at the same time, well…that’s when the fun starts!



There tends to be more settlement along canals and waterways, so traffic picks up a little. Just try imagining getting a Toyota Four-Runner across this bridge, at the same time as all these people on their motorcycles, on their bicycles, and on foot. Not only was I worried that we might squish someone, but I was also worried that the bridge would collapse. Fortunately, neither one happened.


The settlement along the canals also tends to run into the canals, resulting in these odd-looking semi-stilt houses. They seem to be such a part of their environment that it looks like they almost grew out of the river.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Ummmm...no pics. But I have an awesome imagination...so I am IMAGINING the scenes you are describing. :)

11:57 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Shhhuuuurrrrttt uuurrrpppp....I was having technical difficulties! They're there now! MWAH!

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home