Monday, January 09, 2006

Good Stuff

So this one guy here, Specs, who came in two hours late this morning, and had to be called yesterday, arriving three hours late by the time he finally got to the office, asked me if he could leave early today so that he could buy some gifts in preparation for the Eid holiday. I just stared at him for a second, amazed at the cajones this required, and then said “fine”, because although I would have been within my rights to make him stay and do his freaking job, if I’d made him stay later when he wanted to do the equivalent of last-minute Christmas shopping, the odds of me getting any work out of him would have been nil. It’s just so absurd. And then he went to go sit on his butt to eat lunch anyway. These last few days have made me have some very not nice thoughts about…well, about all of our local staff.

Gifty was here today, but sans gifts, which is good. Still brings me tea, though. I still don’t drink tea – but he never asks if I want it, he just brings it in. I still say "thank you".

They invited me to join them for lunch. Um…no. I was too freaking irritated with them to eat. How people can so blatantly just not give a crap about their jobs is beyond me.

After a curse-filled, venting e-mail to my mom, I calmed down. Plus, Specs did end up staying later to finish his work. I think it may have been because I told him he had to, but still – I appreciate that he stayed. (By which I mean “did what he gets paid to do”, so maybe I shouldn’t be falling all over myself with gratitude just yet.) But at this point, I’m so disappointed in how everyone has behaved this week that my standards are on the low side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home