Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Just When I Think I’m Out, They Drag Me Back In…

The project that has been making my life…interesting for the last six or seven months or so has once again reared its ugly head. What’s not to love about these things? But it seems that we’re making progress, as there appears to be less and less with which people take issue as we go through successive iterations. So, it’s getting better. And, in all fairness, this project has been a huge learning opportunity for me, so that’s been good. I wouldn’t mind having back some of the free time I’ve given the project, but at least it’s almost done and will soon ride off into the sunset. Allowing me to catch up on all the things I’m neglecting to attend to this one very intense task.

I’m a little sleepy today from a late evening spent with Stef and AS, watching election returns. (We’re geeks and we live in DC – this is what we do for fun. Never forget the saying that “DC is Hollywood for ugly people.” It’s truer than you know, my friends.)

There was much rejoicing.

Although it’s true that I tend to be more the type of activist that will show up at a hospital in the middle of the night to counsel rape survivors instead of the one that will take to the streets waving signs, that doesn’t mean I haven’t been profoundly disturbed by the direction I’ve seen the country taking in the last several years. So last night was a good, good night.

Special K and I are off to the Midwest for the weekend, for a trip that we’ve been planning for quite some time. It will be something of a whirlwind, but he’s never been out to Chicago or anywhere in Wisconsin, so I get to show him around and introduce him to all of my friends. We’ll also be taking a detour to see my grandmother so that she can meet him, which will be fun – she’s very excited about it, as are we. Since project schedules have shifted and my application for my professional certification exam has been botched, the timing is actually not so good, but since I’ve realized that I don’t have a single free weekend between now and Christmas, it’s definitely now or never.

Besides, it’s nothing that some Leinie’s and a grilled bratwurst can’t cure.

6 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Fun Fact: on the Miller tour in Milwaukee, the beer they gave out at the end was Leinie's, as opposed to one of the Miller proper varieties. Good choice, since it was (is) far better than anything Mother Miller makes.

Fortunately you can get it around here, too. Just in case you're feeling homesick. And overly sober.

5:13 PM  
Blogger wstachour said...

Yeah, it's fab to finally get a little bit of good political news. It's hard to quite get a handle on the huge pile of debris we must now try and clear in our wordly affairs and our financial house, but just stopping the bleeding is Step One.

It's a beautiful couple days here in WI, but it's supposed to turn cold for the weekend :-(

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMMMmmmmm. Brats!!

We were up late, too. What a relief. I'm so happy to have a promise of checks and balances again and to have some of the corruption flushed away. Did you see the McCain interview on MSNBC? I thought it was great. He was totally honest with what he thought of his own party. It was refreshing to hear.

Hope you guys have a great time! Wave at Grayslake on your way by! And give our love to Grandma G!

Love!

St

7:33 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Leinie's is Leinenkugel's, a very tasty beer brewed in Wisconsin. I hadn't heard of it until I lived there, but it's worth finding. (I particularly enjoy their red beer.) An aficionado such as yourself might enjoy it!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leinie's also make reeeeeeaally good ribs when used to boil the meat for an hour.

St

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Madtown says:
1) Tuesday night / Wed AM was GREAT! (in his best Tony the Tiger voice);
2) Yes, Leinie's is quite tasty. Even better with a brat. We'll have plenty of them this weekend!
3) Yes, it's true, the weather is going to suck. I'm biking home in shorts today. Tomorrow? It's supposed to snow 2-4 inches and be a high of 40 degrees.
4) Travel safe (crappy weather and all);
5) Bring warm clothes. The weather is going to suck, just like last year!
Madcity

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home