Monday, June 02, 2008

Say Wha-?

So, I met up with some friends for lunch the other day. They were friends from my old job who hadn’t seen my new uber-short haircut. (Oh yeah – my hair is way shorter now. I lurves it.) So one of them, who happens to be 23, came up to me and said “oh – you have Mom Hair!”

Um….what?

A look of horror crossed my face, as I felt like I should be wearing Mom Jeans, complete with pleats and high waist, white Reebok sneakers, and a pastel-colored polo shirt of some description, preferably with a sweater tied around my neck, in a coordinating pastel. I don’t think she realized that I took it as an insult, but when I said something to indicate that I didn’t think it was flattering, she said, in her attempt to clarify “no, no – it’s just…well, it’s just Mom Hair.”

Harrumph.

Now, let me take this opportunity to state that I have nothing against motherhood, nor do I think motherhood inherently makes one hopelessly devoid of style. Not the case at all. I know many, many stylish moms. Well done, them. I hope to be one of them one day. But Mom Hair isn’t a complimentary observation, no matter how you put it – and is somewhat deflating to hear when you’re thinking that your new haircut looks kind of sassy and sophisticated. Particularly when you’ve been feeling, as I have lately, somewhat frumpy and squashy-looking.

Well, I still do really like my haircut, although it does look better with a little bit more in the way of styling products than I’m accustomed to using. I’ve decided that I can no longer chalk my perpetual inactivity up to my “transition” and have been going to the gym at lunch as my schedule allows. So I feel like I’m moving back into my comfort zone. And really, now that it’s even shorter, my hair seems so much more mold-able, and I get the most SPECTACULARLY AWESOME bed-head. Blows the old stuff out of the water, and bears a somewhat disquieting (awesomely disquieting) resemblance to my mom’s fellow countryman, and therefore a half-brother of mine of sorts, Yahoo Serious.

Perhaps not Australia’s brightest luminary, but he sure does leave an impression, doesn’t he?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Niiiiiiice...I happen to think that anything that requires product cannot be defined as a mom-do. :) I'm sure you look great (and I would love to see a picture). Some people just have no clue. For the love.

9:55 AM  
Blogger John Das Binky said...

My personal tastes have evolved such that I find "mom-hair" much sexier than "skank in club" hair. Which isn't to suggest you had "skank in club" hair before, or at least not that I remember.

"Mom Hair" is just "convenient hair", or "hair that I can do in the morning and still have time to feed, clothe and wash up a kid or kid(s)". It's a hair-do of self-confidence that says "I have better things to do with myself than try to impress your sorry ass." Perhaps it's just me, but that's f*ckin' hot.

I can state definitively that you do not have mom hair if you wake up looking like Yahoo Serious. If you wake up looking like Paul Hogan, that's a different discussion.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home