Thursday, August 07, 2008

My List Keeps Growing

Some of you may be thinking that I’m referring to my “list of people who piss me off”. But you’d be wrong. (Although that list also keeps growing. I’m talking to you, white truck that cut me off this morning. The roads are filled with bastard people, I tell you.)

The list to which I’m referring is my “List of Things I Never Thought I’d Care About”. As I’ve alluded to, Special K and I are looking for a new car, and we’ve now test driven a few. So far, the car I really thought I’d like (Toyota Matrix), I was very “ehhh…” about, mostly because I didn’t like the sight lines. Everything else about it was great, but I couldn’t see my right-side blind spot to save my life. Granted, that wasn’t helped by the huge Toyota sticker covering the right rear window, but I have a feeling that would be an issue for me. Whereas the Honda Civic, which we hadn’t even been considering until very recently, was great! Loved the ride, loved the interior layout, all of those things.

But the next time we take one out for a test drive, we’re going to take it to a store like Buy, Buy Baby and see if a rear-facing car seat will comfortably fit in it. This is NOT because I’m pregnant, since I am not. But since I hope to be so in a couple of years, and since we plan to keep whatever car we buy for at least 10 years, these are practical considerations. How freaking weird is that going to feel?

“Hi, you see this car I don’t own? Now you see the car seat in it? For kids I don’t have and am not about to have?”

It’s like when Special K and I knew that we were going to get married before he officially popped the question. I’d tell people, and they’d say “oooh! Where’s your ring?” and I’d say “Oh, I don’t have it yet”, and they’d get a pitying look on their faces, as if to say “oh…poor little crazy girl.”

Of course, in life I’d like a British racing green Mini Cooper. But that life wouldn’t include things like car seats and strollers, so maybe I’ll get that after the imaginary kids go to their imaginary colleges. With their tragically far-from-imaginary tuitions.

For the present reality, however, we’re going to test out a couple more things, and take each of the cars we’ve already driven out for another spin. K and I have different ideas of what constitutes “rushing into a decision”, so we’ll see where we land on that one.

6 Comments:

Blogger John Das Binky said...

Well played.

You will (someday) be amazed at the amount of crap that wee-uns require hauling around. Life was easier for our parents, who barely even worried about strapping us in, let alone trips to Costco.

Also, keep in mind that with one kid, you can put the car seat in the middle (LATCH permitting), which saves lots of headaches. If you need to put it behind the actual seats, that's a world of pain in most cars if you're over 5'2".

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was _so_ hoping you'd consider a Civic! Talk about reliability! I love mine. (Though I can't speak to the issues of carseats. At all.) -- Shaz

8:53 PM  
Blogger stgoebel said...

THAT IS SO SMART!!! Yeah - the middle is where the wee one would go. That does help.

Another someday word of advice: install a seat protector sheet to protect your interior. And never leave crayons in a hot car in the summer.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, omigod. So like, Cam and I? SO were talking about getting a different car - not for kids, but for camping - (stay with me here) and the one WE liked was the pontiac Vibe... which for the record is like the nearly identical car - made on the toyota chassie, but with better sight lines...

but wait. there's more. The mazda 3 hatchback? another almost identical car, with better gas mileage AND it's cheaper. we are currently smitten with the mazda 3 hatchback.

that's my vote.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Well, since Whitey is a Pontiac, we've basically vowed never to buy a Pontiac again. In general, we're not all that excited about GM cars. But it looks like we're going with the Civic regardless, and then willgo for something like a Honda Fit when it's time to replace Doris.

(And yes, that's my car's name. It's a long story.)

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! See, that's what I plan to replace the Civic with when its time comes --a Fit! I have "Fit envy" -- there's a couple down the street that has one. - Shaz

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home