Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Almost there...

We're leaving for the villages today, all appropriately dressed and such, since the village areas are far more conservative than the city, so the proper dress was essential for this trip. We've got more clothes to wear, and I have to say - they're quite comfy. Not that I'll necessarily be wearing them all the time at home (the pants...the best way I can describe them are MC Hammer pants with less rhinestones and assorted bling), but whatever I can do to blend in here is helpful. Needless to say, I stick out like a sore thumb (where did that phrase come from, by the way? Anyone know?) regardless, but this helps a bit.

Our client is being challenging, to say the least. He's got his own agenda, and it's very frustrating because he's proceeding with little, if any, concession to logic or common sense. So that could be all kind of interesting, and will mean an interesting several weeks for me, as "Dr. Judy's apprentice", particularly as she'll be gone. But I have things I can do, and it's all an interesting experience. ("Interesting" is the best word I can think of, to be honest.)

Before I forget any more than I already have, my cell phone number here is +92-300-203-7838. It's more reliable than the house phone and the reception is much better, so that's happy.

I think we're heading out the door - I'll be incommunicado for the next couple of days, but I'm sure I'll have plenty to talk about when I get back!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sore thumb? OK -- sounded like a legitimate and interesting question, so I decided to look it up. I found this online... can't take credit for it.

"The OED quotes for its two earliest examples Erle Stanley Gardner, author of numerous books about Perry Mason..."

"1936 E. S. GARDNER Case of Sleepwalker's Niece xiii. 128 'No,' he said, 'that's the one thing in the case that stands out like a sore thumb, now that I stop to think of it.' 1941 {emem} Case of Haunted Husband (1942) xvi. 126 A private detective in that atmosphere would stick out like a sore thumb on a waiter serving soup."

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for the "stick out like a sore thumb" reference, see the following url http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/35/messages/261.html.

As for the MC Hammer pants...I gotta have some of those!

Wacky! Just As I was previewing this, Jeff posted the quote!

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home