Thursday, May 19, 2005

Unique opportunity

We've got a visit out to some of the villages next week in Sanghar province. The Sindh Provincal guy that we're working with (head of the Department of Works and Services, maybe? Everyone jumps up and stands at attention when he walks in the room, so I'm guessing he's important) said he's going to take us on a desert safari. I'm not sure what that means, and it might involve camels.

Don't worry, I'll take pictures.

I'm settling in a little more, although the colleague of mine who's here with me has just given her notice. That's going to be a little awkward, and I'm not sure what it's going to mean for me. I suppose I'll find out. Fair enough, she's got to do what she's got to do...but yeah. Don't quite know what to think about that one.

So, any of you folks who went to France with me will understand how happy I was to walk into a supermarket today and stumble across Kinder Bueno! So yummy... You'd also sympathize about the odd shower set-up - the shower head is mounted just above the faucet. SO, if I want to, for example, rinse off anything above waist height, I have to kneel or I'll lose water pressure. The big advantage over France, however, is that it will stay on as long as I want!

The heat here actually isn't bothering me. Granted, we spend most of our time in an air conditioned office, but being outside isn't quite as much like living on the sun as I'd thought it could be. When we leave for the day, they turn the a/c and the fans off in the house (the a/c I don't mind, but I wish they'd leave the fans on...), and it really doesn't bother me when we get back. And it's not that it's not hot here. This, clearly, is my Australian blood flexing its heat-tolerating muscle. Hurrah for that!

The principal at the American School, who lives next door, told Judy, my co-worker, that she's found a little friend for me to play with! Seriously, though - she said she met a young woman about my age who will, it seems, NOT be fleeing the country for the month of June. So, I hope I like her, as she may be the only game in town. Although, the Pakistani girls at the office are very nice and friendly - I'd like to get to know them better.

So, it would appear that my comfort level with being here depends on several things - if someone has randomly started laughing at me for something I said, or I'm really tired - then I don't have the happy. But I think that, on the whole, it will be good. (Thinking positive, after all...)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mandy! Beware of the camel...and good luck with your new play-pal! It always helps to have a buddy to hang out with - I hope she's nice.

Try to get some rest - I'm so proud of you! :)

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When they stand up, do they do the "Benny Hill Salute" or something do that effect? If not, you should.

That would be cool.

If you need any other ideas to help fit in, let me know.

AND...thanks for being the first Haiku writer to post OCONUS.

db

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home