Monday, January 30, 2006

Peace

Today is my day to stay back from the office and work at the hotel, for the previously mentioned reasons. Well, I didn’t set my alarm and woke up feeling nice and refreshed at 7:45 this morning, trundled down to the restaurant to get breakfast, and have been seated in front of my computer for a good while – reading and cranking out text and methodology. And playing the occasional game of Free Cell. I may even take a lunch break and head down to the gym. There are some things that I like about being in the office, chief amongst them the fact that I think it’s a little unhealthy to spend the entire day in a single room, so getting out and talking to people is good. Plus, I like to check my e-mail… However, when I’m at the office, I get so little done. The things that I *do* accomplish require Herculean efforts, so life is, in many ways, easier if I just stay here, listen to some music, and write, write, write. It’s been blissfully quiet so far, except for the music I’m listening to and the occasional beep of the elevator. So, despite having a lot of things on my mind, my setup for today is okay.

TL called to check in and see if I wanted to join them for lunch. I said that I was fine here – besides, I’ve got enough soup and oatmeal to feed a small army. I could never leave my room, except to get bottles of water with breakfast (the breakfast buffet is included in the room rate) and have plenty to eat for the remainder of my stay here. I also know that if I meet up with them for lunch, I will completely break my concentration. I did, however, head down to the gym for a mid-day break and I am back up to running two miles! Wahoo! If anyone reading is one of those irritating, natural athlete types (no offense, I’m sure you’re a lovely person), I realize this may not seem like a great accomplishment. But something I have come to accept about myself is that, much as I may enjoy it, I am just not a natural runner. Swimming? No problem. Biking? Bring it on. Running? Eh…it will always be *work*. Good work. You know – the kind of work that makes you feel all kinds of exhausted, yet satisfied. But still…it’s work. So, two miles is a good “maintenance” run for me – although I’d like to work up to a three or four mile run, if my body will cooperate. It has a pretty clear way of letting me know if it thinks I’ve gotten too ambitious – it’s called pain.

Patience, Grasshopper.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, for someone who once was a fairly good athlete, it's sad that I can't run two *blocks* anymore. however, my athleticism was mostly limited to quickness and agility and the idiocy to want to put myself in front of hard plastic balls being hit at me at 60 mph. So... you be the judge.
AS

12:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You go, PT Rock! I have to admit that your dedication is of real inspiration to me. I have promised myself to get back into shape and remove my semblences of a disgusting fat body in the hopes of moving closer towards the title of World's Sexiest Man. (Note I said closer)

Hope the writing is going well. :)

12:59 PM  
Blogger wstachour said...

I love (though you clearly don't) that you can get much more done if you DON'T go into the office. Is there some larger cultural thing going on here, or is yours just a non-functional office? My wife just got back from a month in India, and said that the business meetings she attended were astounding for their lack of organization and the basic discipline that would enable ANYTHING to get done. Not surprisingly, nothing did.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home