Thursday, February 02, 2006

Oh. My. Gosh.

They just extended my visa to stay here, and they apparently have a policy/practice under such circumstances that is not universally applied. In order to get a visa or visa extension while in Yemen, they wanted me to take an AIDS test. Men don’t have to do this. Arab women don’t have to do this. I realize that I sound repetitive with my “Western woman are assumed to be whores” thing, and this policy may cover more than just “Western” women, but the frequent reminders I get of this mindset are infuriating. Why am *I* considered more likely to have, and spread, AIDS than a man? Or than an Arab woman? What is that about?????? They made S take her a test when she arrived, since she got her visa at the airport. TL said that he’d rather pay them a “bonus” than make me do it, which he did, and which I appreciate. I cannot believe this place sometimes.

Things like this make it really, really, really, really hard to be positive about being here. And I am really, really, really, really trying – I promise I am. Although it may not look like it.

One thing I’m really glad about? My church started doing podcasts of their messages that I can download and listen to on my own. It provided some important chill time for me tonight, gave me a little perspective, and took my mind off things. I know that I need to take things like this in stride a lot more, and I know that I need to be less sensitive – I think that there’s a degree of this I’d find objectionable anyway, but yeah…these days my patience isn’t what it usually is.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeepers.

"Sometimes it's hard to be a woman..." - now that song will be in my head all day! Perhaps we should think of things that make us sing, "I enjoy being a girl!"

Ahh the soundtrack of our lives.

I'm so sorry for all this crap. Way to go TL for having some cajones and helping you out.

And yay for JC having podcasts!! I tried to get one the other day and it didn't work. I'll have to try again!!

LOVE YOU!!!

st

10:07 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Dude...that sucks...and seriously, I think you have more of a reason to be a little annoyed by where you are right now. I mean, yes, we should be overall happier with our lives, but most of us don't have much to say about how much we hate Yemen and the way they do things over there! However, I applaud your resolution to make the best of things...and I'm really glad the podcasts are helping!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the one hand, you don't have AIDS, so why not just go ahead and take the test instead of greasing a palm? I know, the indignity and it's rediculous. Is it really just all western women or all foreign women? Arab women don't have to do it? Think I could pass? Do I qualify as only half a whore? No, probably not. On the other hand, tell them to shove it and if they don't like it, send you home!! That's a good plan, right?
AS

11:00 AM  
Blogger wstachour said...

Oh, god. I admire you for keeping as positive an attitude as you have, as I suspect that I, were I a woman, would have packed my shit up and left with my middle finger in the air. Human history is full of these ugly incidents where women are held accountable for men's inability to keep their pants zipped up. "You tempted me by... just being!" or some such tripe.

Hold on and count the days!

(((hug))) :-)

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is truly surprising how ignorant people can be. They should be testing the men. Hell, they are the ones more likely to creeping around.
Ugh! At least make it equal...test everyone!`

5:05 PM  
Blogger Brunette said...

AS is right- if they send you home, is that really the worst thing in the world? Well, that might not go over so swell with work...

Miss you! Stay strong and enjoy all your good TV!

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks eggs! Don't take any crap. Just remember, western women aren't whores. Western men, on the other hand, are major ho-bags. Thankfully, no one knows this yet!


Wait...

Did I just write that...?....???

Damn! Inside voice! Inside voice!

The MadCity has got your back.
Madcity Shooqwanda

9:59 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sigh. Nothing like an impromptu AIDS test to ruin your life until you get the results.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home