Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Penance

It’s 10:30 and I’ve got my laptop out, not just to write, although this is when I usually do my blogging for the day (posting it the next morning), but to get some work done. This is because, as I said, I was a whirlwind of non-productivity. Or something like that. I mean, it’s all fair and stuff, but I’m really looking forward to taking an entire day off – an entire day when I don’t think about work even a little tiny bit. I am so glad my life isn’t always like this. This is also why I could never be a workaholic; to use the technical term, I think it “sucks” – what kind of freak does this voluntarily? I mean, it’s good to be into your job and committed and dedicated and all of that stuff. But there are limits.

But here I am, sitting up and writing about maintenance for public amenities and buildings, and maximum allowable population densities. Oooh…sexy. Much as I poke fun, though, I actually do find my job interesting. (Fortunately.) Not that there aren’t some things I would change, but the actual work I do is usually interesting. If I could do more of it at home, that would be ideal, but I’m working on that.

J is leaving soon (I think) and TL seems to be only too glad to be rid of him. For my part, I’m not going to be crying too hard either. He just…well, he just keeps whining. About everything. I will bet anyone $5 that tomorrow I will hear the words “My cheeken is burned…” at lunch. Um, Dude – it’s GRILLED and those are GRILL MARKS. He thinks that our living allowance for this project is too low, and it *is* awfully low, but he brings it up at every possible opportunity, attempting to make a joke out of it – sadly for him, the frequency of his commentary makes it totally clear that he’s not remotely joking. Today, I told him that he’s really going to have to get over it – which made TL snort. (And since J makes twice as much money as me, I’m not too sympathetic.)

Apparently it is the Islamic New Year today – but because it’s done by a lunar calendar, people don’t know what the exact day is going to be until the day before…or something like that. I’m not sure why that is, but there you have it. So TL told people that, even though it was a holiday, he expected them to show up (I suppose it’s only fair, since we work over our own holidays when we’re here). There were a few people, however, who just didn’t turn up. I guess I don’t feel so bad now, but I’m a little shocked that they’d ignore him like that. Tomorrow morning should be interesting, because he is hacked. As I’ve said before – I’m happy to stay on his good side.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brunette said...

Happy new year!

When are you coming home? Miss you!

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, J...when will you learn not to piss off "the Mandy"? One of these days she's going to whirl around and slap you silly! Then you'll be super sorry you pissed her off!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Brunette - short answer? Not soon enough? Real answer? 11-something am on Friday, February 24th.

Which is only 22 days away.

Not that I'm counting or anything.

I miss you, too!!

Jenn - the beauty of my current arrangement? I really don't have a life, so if I'm not working, I tend to think "well...what am I going to *do*?"

Anonymous - Mom, is that you??? Heh.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home