Monday, February 06, 2006

*whew*

Twelve hours today doing population projections. Okay, not *all* twelve hours were spent doing population projections, but those last few hours sure felt like it. TL is really good to work with and I’m learning a lot from him, but holy crap am I tired. I can only imagine how tired he must be, he’s had some fairly serious health problems lately. It’s really, really, really a good thing that he and I like each other – this would be excruciating otherwise.

We made a schedule today of everything that needs to get done in the next 10 days. To say that it’s ambitious is an understatement. Needless to say, I won’t have a day off before I leave. And to think that my boss asked if I deserved comp time when I got home. He’s hilarious.

The Recruit is on The Movie Channel (odd coincidence, as someone was just telling me about it), and a lot of it is set in Washington. I’ve never seen it before – it’s pretty good. Al Pacino is a wee little man, though. Something you might not always notice as he’s usually shouting and waving his arms around a lot – makes him seem bigger. In any event, I’m seeing lots of familiar scenes, which is nice. (Although Colin Farrell allegedly got on a Red Line train at Union Station and they said the next stop was Dupont Circle. Shyah.)

I’m more than halfway done, I’ve got two and a half weeks left on this trip. I am *really* looking forward to going home – in case that wasn’t obvious to one and all. Looking forward to curling up on my couch, next to one of my two cats, eating a dinner I made myself that in no way involves Cup-A-Soup (maybe I’ll make myself some risotto?). However, after a while you can get into a routine here and mostly ignore the unpleasant parts. It doesn’t make me miss home any less, but it does make being here manageable most of the time. I still want to take advantage of the unique opportunity I have to be here, but I think my natural curiosity is a little tapped out at the moment. Maybe it’ll be a little more recharged when I come back next time.

Oh, and the guy who runs the restaurant where we eat lunch every day is a dead ringer for The Soup Nazi. It almost makes me want to tell him he looks like Al Pacino, to see what he says.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want some very amusing DC Navigation, watch True Lies. From some site that Catalogues these things: "After the fight scene in the mall bathroom (Georgetown Mall), Arnold chases the bad guy through a side door but then immediately appears in Dupont Circle, which is about 2 miles away. And again, after running through Dupont Circle, they immediately enter the Marriott in downtown DC."
- JA

9:13 AM  
Blogger wstachour said...

It's interesting that in movies the details are always wrong. I don't know the DC trains, but why not call the next stop as the correct one for the Red Line? Or, if they needed Dupont Circle for some reason, why not put him on the correct train?

I dont' know much about much, but I do understand aviation. And the movies ALWAYS get it wrong, usually in a huge, laughable way. As does the tabloid rag USA Today, the Wal-Mart of newspapers. Why not leave out the details one doesn't understand or cannot verify? (Because it would make for a very thin paper, maybe?)

This makes me assume that everything I DON'T understand is similarly botched. And then one must despair of the population which relies on this most widely-circulated newspaper for their knowledge base.

So who's watching the kitties while mommy is away? I've never even met you and even I will be glad to hear you're on home soil! :-)

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In The American President, Annette Benning somehow gets caught on Dupont Circle on her way from the Hill to the White House. And I'm trying to remember the movie where it's set in DC, but they use the NYC subway. That's OK, because in Spiderman 2, set in NYC, they use the Chicago El.
AS

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the Georgetown metro stop in No Way Out ... still looking for that one!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

"The Pelican Brief" has some good navigation, too - Densel Washington is trying to get to Georgetown University by heading up Pennsylvania Ave. toward the Capital.

Um...yeah.

And wunelle - I have been very lucky to have great roommates who have been able to watch the kitties for me in my extended absence. One of many reasons I want to travel less in the future - the kitties are fairly low-maintenance, but it's still a big favor.

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home