Friday, September 01, 2006

Debating...Again

Well, as some of you know, I’ve wanted to do something for a while, and I’ve always had some excuse or another as to why I wasn’t doing it (often they were legitimate, but not always). So, if I blog about it, does that act as an accountability measure? Perhaps.

So here we go.

In order to get our minds off of other things that could become all-consuming, in an unhealthy way, (although I don’t know if there’s a healthy way for anything to be all-consuming), I asked Special K the other day if he’d like to train for a triathlon with me. Fortunately, he’s an adventurous sort, and he said yes. Now, we haven’t talked about it in anything more than vague generalities, but triathlon season will be over in a couple of months, so we would basically be training for something that is likely to happen next spring/summer/fall. Which is fortunate because, speaking for myself, I’m nowhere near in shape for it at present, and will need to work hard. I can do each of the individual events (swimming, biking, running), although my running needs work, it’s just doing all three in combination that will be difficult. Or rather, really freaking hard.

We’re not talking Iron Man or anything insane like that. Rather, I’m thinking we should start slow, with a sprint distance. See how we like it, if we can do it, all that stuff. But I’m a type-A personality and I respond well to goals and limits. Special K is far more type-B (which is a very good thing for both of us), but he’s also got enough discipline to totally pull something like this off.

So...wish us luck? If nothing else, it will be a good diversion!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless it is part of some sort of weird prison/parole sentance, I have no idea why you would do a triathalon.

Max

11:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Seriously, what's not to like?
Running...good!
Swimming...good!
Biking...good!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all three on their own, I'd say its debatable that they are all good, but one right after another voluntarily? Bad bad bad!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hey - if nothing else, it will require focus, right? I have no ambition above finishing.

Which is fortunate.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Brunette said...

Good for you!

(I think. No, really. Good for you!)

By neither running, nor biking, nor swimming, I'm going to do my part to maintain the recommended daily allowance of sloth in our apartment.

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really great at cheering for crazy people like you (although, I did walk 60 miles and stand in front of flying hockey balls for several years, so I have my fair share of crazy.)

I have a friend who just did her first and trained with Team in Training and another friend who just did her first half iron-man (REALLY crazy) so if you need tips/connections, let me know!

AS

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home