Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Bad Penny

Do you ever have those people who, for lack of a better way of putting it, just won’t go away? Those people with whom you have no basis for any kind of relationship, and in whom you have no interest at all?

I have one of those – someone to whom we’ll refer as Wilbur. He and I had a relatively short, and relatively unpleasant relationship quite some time ago – the relationship ended (for the best), we made an attempt to be friends (decidedly not for the best), and then things were over – I told him to take a long walk off a short pier after some particularly jackass-y and intentionally unkind behavior, and I thought that we were done.

Then a few months later, out of nowhere, I got a pseudo-apology from him, which was laughable in its narcissism and arrogance. I didn’t respond. Then a few months after that, I was included in an e-mail he sent to a few people about something (semi)newsworthy involving him. I was a little surprised that he was under the impression that I would be curious about anything involving him – I don’t wish him ill, in fact I don’t really think about him at all, but he’s just not a very nice person, and he’s not someone I need or want in my life. So I wrote back with a one word e-mail that said “unsubscribe”, thinking that it was succinct, and got my point across without being overly nasty. He’d already taken up more of my energy than was deserved, and I didn’t see the need to devote more to the correspondence.

And then the other day I got an Evite from him, that I really hope was sent to me by accident. Apparently he’s throwing a party at his “pimped out bachelor pad” before he leaves town. As I laughed at the ridiculousness, I toyed with several responses, among them “Is it okay if I bring my fiancée?”, “um…seriously??”, and “don’t read anything into this, but I’d rather get a root canal sans anesthetic”. In the end, however, I think that all of those things require more effort than I’m willing to devote.

But my goodness. Sheep learn faster than him.

I suppose, however, that I do owe him a thank you, in a way. Had he not behaved the way he did, all of Special K’s wonderful qualities that set him apart from so many men might not have been so clear to me as they are, and have been since I met him. So, I suppose being treated like I was worth nothing made me appreciate even more the fantastic man I am lucky to be with, who most definitely thinks I am worth something.

Hurrah for moving on and trading up!

(And more to come on our Midwest trip, which was awesome.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hurrah indeed!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Stef said...

Wow, Wilbur. I thought that went out with the trash heap a long time ago... I say don't bother responding to the Evite, cuz why spend any more energy? You and K should just do something even more fun that night instead!

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi vey! Can you set up to auto delete his emails?

I once got a call from a former boyfriend the night before I married your brother! Talk about weird timing!!!

Can't wait to hear about your trip!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crazy stuff... I'd just put him on the list of "blocked" e-mail folks. Never have to be bothered again.
And yes, the application was overwhelmingly approved. The committee was most impressed. Hope the rest of the trip was good and you two have had a chance to relax. I'll send out our photos in the not to distant future (knock on wood). Whoohaa to the bonfire!
Madtown

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home