Monday, August 20, 2007

Mmm...cake

As I mentioned previously, a good friend of mine asked me to make her wedding cake for her, and I happily, if somewhat nervously, agreed to. Well, we had our trial run on Saturday, and after a good bit of time spent in the kitchen and a good bit of anxiety over how to get the frosting to look perfectly smooth (which it still didn’t), Special K and I boxed that puppy up and headed to their house for dinner, complete with champagne tasting. Fortunately, the cake was a big success (lemon-raspberry, for anyone who may be interested), so much so that six of us polished off a cake that contained 12 – 16 servings. None of us are proud of that, but none of us are regretting it too much, either. (That’s because I didn’t mention how many sticks of butter were in the frosting. The light taste is very deceptive.) As we headed into the champagne testing portion of the evening, it soon became clear that none of us were in a position to drive basically anywhere, so sofa beds were pulled out and we crashed hard. After a lovely spontaneous brunch the next morning, Special K and I trundled off to our house, where we proceeded to do some laundry and sit on our butts – which is kind of what we did last weekend. I think I’m seeing a theme…

Keeping in mind that the cake consumption is NOT the norm in our house, K and I have been good about getting up at an obscenely early hour, or if we don’t then making time for the gym after work, and it feels really good – sore muscles and all. There’s something about having a doctor tell you “you must do this” that really puts things in perspective.

I had a realization the other day that was kind of nice – nothing Earth-shattering, just something that hadn’t really occurred to me before, at least not in these words. I am really content right now. Just…really happy with what we have. I mean, we still have goals and things that we want, but we really have everything we need. Our little house is plenty big for the two of us, we can pay all our bills every month and not wonder where it will come from, and we can work toward all the big-picture goals we have.

Plus, my husband rocks.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good thing to be in that position. One addition / correction: your husband "RAWKS!". It's a slight, but important difference.
Madcity

4:01 PM  
Blogger DC said...

I will concur that he does indeed rock...or rawk...either way it's still kick ass!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I love you guys. My kinda people. I say, "let 'em eat cake!" ;)

love
d

2:06 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That pic just kills me...it really is Keith wrapped up in one picture. :) Glad the cake is working out...wouldn't be such a bad side business...pay off debt faster you know. ;)

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home