Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Niche

I’m not really sure how this ever happened, but the one subject in school that I never really liked is now something that people keep asking me to do at work. It started out with me figuring out how to do it for a particular project. The project was simple enough, so I was able to pull it together. Not a huge deal. Well, then people kept asking me to do it, the projects have been getting more and more complicated, and I still really don’t like this subject. What’s more, I’m far from an expert! And since these projects have been getting more complicated, although I make sure my analysis is correct, usually with the help of some gracious colleagues who actually are experts in this stuff, it is so much harder than it needs to be. And I am SO SICK of doing this, but now some people are likely to think it’s the only thing I can do, which is absurd, because my skill set is completely different! I’m mostly thinking of this now because I’ve got to do this particular analysis for four major projects all due in the next two weeks, and some of them are going in a different direction from the ones I’m used to, so I am now even MORE lost, and really flying blind. It’s frustrating, because I like my work to be good, not just good enough. But I’ve totally been stuffed into this one niche that I never wanted to occupy in the first place. So while I still really like the people I work with, it is making me really not like what I've been doing at work. It’s taken a bit of the wind out of my “let’s be positive and just enjoy where we are now” sails.

I suppose this is just further underlining the need I have for a change…

On the plus side, however, my boss was telling me about how a friend of his once did an arrangement of “Amazing Grace” to the tune of the theme from “Gilligan’s Island”. It fits really well, actually, and totally made me laugh.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stef said...

Wait. I admit I wasn't always tops at reading comprehension, but... did I miss what your least-favorite school subject IS?

9:10 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Nah - nothing wrong with your reading comprehension, I just didn't mention it. (Economics, BTW.)

12:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Are you in a position to TELL them you don't want to do this and that you're really not all that good at it? Also, the Amazing Grace/Gilligan's Island thing has been around for a while. Many many camp gatherings...memories... :)

10:28 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Oh, I've mentioned that I don't like doing it, but since there are so few other people in our division who specialize in this (apparently), it usually falls on me regardless. Although, since the intensity of my dislike is usually mild on an individual project basis (I'm balancing four right now), I let it go. But now...bleah.

The problem is that I'm not bad enough - I always do my best to make sure it's correct because I don't want to churn out crap. So the more I do that, the better I get at it, and the more people want me to do it.

*yawn*

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like my recent experience with the capital improvement plan. -- Shaz

11:01 AM  
Blogger DC said...

sounds like you need to churn out more "crap"...that'll get rid of those projects

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home