Monday, January 21, 2008

Toasty

Since I don’t work for the government, or one of those companies with a more liberal holiday policy, today is a work day for me. However, since I am fortunate enough to work for a company that allows me to work remotely, I am working from home today. If I can situate myself properly, I can actually get a ton of work done at home – it depends on multiple factors, though. Couch = bad. It’s too comfy, and I will inevitably doze off at some point. There’s nothing wrong with an occasional nap if you’re at home, but they’re best scheduled. Desk in the den = good. However, today = ass cold, so I’m compromising by sitting at the dining room table with a nice fire going in the fireplace. I’ve got Milo sitting up here with me, diligently making sure that I don’t get distracted. And to help me focus, he’s sitting right on the stack of papers that I need to work with – just so I don’t forget where they are. I’m also wearing fleece. Lots and lots and lots of fleece. Fleece yoga pants, fleece slippers over my socks, and a fleece pullover over the two long-sleeved t-shirts I’m wearing. And a fleece blanket. Our house is just old and drafty, with old windows that need to be replaced, and I’d be willing to bet that the insulation in the house is original. Which means that it’s not quite useless, but probably getting there fast.

So it’s a good thing that energy costs are so low these days, eh?

Riiiight.

I really don’t mind bundling up, though – because although our thermostat is set at 67, it lies. My fingernails don’t occasionally turn purple when it’s 67 degrees outside! So I came to the conclusion that layering and wearing warm clothes was preferable to selling my eggs in order to pay the gas bill. (We might need them one day, after all.)

6 Comments:

Blogger John Das Binky said...

You've nicely encapsulated why we went with new construction when we bought our house. It may cost a little more up front, and may not have the character of an older place (if that's what you're looking for), but having a nicely sealed house without drafts and new energy efficient appliances is a nice bonus. Low energy bills rock, even if higher mortgage bills don't.

Sadly, I am stuck at work, but at least I get to wear my Giants jersey and guffaw at the morose Packer fans around. :)

12:21 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Heh - you said guffaw.

This is also exactly why, were we to be the owners of this house, I'd rip out the interior drywall on every exterior wall and put in new insulation, and we would replace all the windows. And install new energy-efficient appliances, instead of the ones we have now. Most of them work fine, but given my green tendencies, I'm sure we could do better.

We're still hoping to buy something with character one day, many years from now, but...yeah. I'll be the geek to renovate with low-VOC paint and bamboo flooring and Energy Star appliances when that time comes.

2:49 PM  
Blogger John Das Binky said...

In the thesaurus, my favorite synonym for guffaw is "snort."

Low VOC paint is awesome. We just did the girls' room with it, and they totally didn't get nearly as sick when then drank it.

MadCity Dan & Spouse just got a wonderfully awesome character filled house, and I completely went into homeowner paralysis when Dan started talking about the long term renovation projects. I still kinda freak out when I have to put up a shelf. I'll need valium the first time I have to do anything with the word "drywall" in it.

I suspect this is the result of being raised by non-handy parents. I can cook well, but I've had to learn my basic list of household/construction skills on my own... as you remember well from incidents in International Thespian Troup 1748 like "The 3 hour attempt to get a straight line using a chalk marker" or "my god, I just drove a nail into my thumb." Good times.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ah the joys of living in that area. I was just talking to Jeff about the fact that our thermostat has been set at 70 for most of the winter and our gas/electric bill was $180. Sigh...I think our highest one in MD was a whopping $400 last year.
I, for one, am all about the green living stuff. And when the government will provide me with the funds to replace all the appliances, I will be more than happy to comply! :)

4:15 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Yuck.
Cold.
The fleece-living-large-like-a-polar-bear stuff has got to go.
Cats don't even want to lapshare because the human fingers are too cold.

:P
d

7:57 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Well, fortunately since K insulated the attic a few years ago, the heating bill manages to stay below $200 the majority of the time. Because if it wasn't, I'd already be selling my eggs.

I'm not scared of home improvement projects, I think the prospect of it is kind of fun. I need one room that is 100% totally and completely put together or I'll go insane, but apart from that, I think it's kind of a fun prospect to really make a place your own.

However, that requires a lot of disposable income. So for now...we'll just try to make someone else's place really our own. Or something like that.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home