Friday, February 08, 2008

Disposable

Many thanks to Jeff for sending me this article, it's very interesting, and should be very alarming. I try not to get up on my little high horse all that often, mostly because people find it irritating. Just ask Special K, who gets to hear the unfiltered version. But here's something that drives me nuts. What is our fixation with disposable stuff? Yes, some things shouldn't be re-used (syringes and some other medical equipment), but the damage being done to our natural environment should really be greater than someone's aversion to doing dishes. Nothing is ever really disposable - all of this plastic crap that we so carelessly throw away because of our need for convenience doesn't really go anywhere. It stays here - maybe it goes farther away from our individual homes or places of work, but it's still here. Plastic water bottles that people don't recycle (the water quality for which really isn't even better than most US tap water. Yemen or Pakistan, it may be another story), plastic plates, cups, utensils - all of this crap. It's clogging up our landfills, our oceans, our rivers, our entire freaking planet. And because we think "hey, it's just one ___", and because a lot of what we need (food products, for example) come in plastic packaging of one kind or another we don't think of what the damage is. We don't think too much about the toxic chemicals used to make it that leach into our water, that get spewed into our air, that get into our bodies.

I had some cottage cheese for breakfast this morning. Sure, the container says it's recyclable, but most places in the US only recycle plastics #1 and #2, for a variety of reasons ranging from ease of processing to expense to the structural integrity of the plastic after its been recycled to marketability of the material. This container, like many, did not fall into that category. So I can't recycle it - so it's more plastic crap clogging up our planet. I try to avoid excess packaging when I shop, and I try to look for things that I can recycle as well. I try to reuse containers that I can't recycle, and I try to avoid plastics if possible, which it often isn't. But really, our planet is a finite resource and we should take better care of it. It's the most amazing gift we have been given, and we're continuing to exploit it like it's going out of style, despite the prevalence of corporate greenwashing.

I know I'm part of the problem, too. I'm not living in a yurt that I made of twigs in the middle of nowhere, growing my own food, and not using any electricity, fossil fuels, or toxic chemicals in my daily life. I may try to minimize my contribution to the problem, but I know I'm still part of it. So I don't want to sound holier-than-thou about all this.

And now that my blood pressure is nice and high, and I probably didn't state what I wanted to state nearly as well as I wanted to state it, I'll be off.

10 Comments:

Blogger John Das Binky said...

This meme has been popping up a lot lately in my life. As designated "random electronic device" boy, I'm constantly stuck with crap I have no idea what to do with.

I have a perfectly functioning Tivo sitting in my living room unused. eBay value: zero. Tivo won't take it back. It gathers dust. I prefer taking up space in my house to sitting in a huge toxic pile in China or Africa.

Cell phones can at least can get a nice second life through companies that hook up battered women with free phones and such. But even as someone who's not getting the newest phone every week, I'm on my fifth phone in ten years.

Until we get some politicians who want to act on this, there's not much we can do other than avoid consuming things that can't be recycled, which is pretty tough.

Except for water, which is a frickin' no brainer. Easy way to handle that: $2 per bottle tax. Proceeds go to environmental cleanup. Problem goes away.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Amy Roth said...

holy shit.

I had NO idea this kinda thing could even exist... I feel so... outta the environmental loop, and a whole lotta disgusted with all of it.

I share your irritation, frustration and annoyance with our overly disposable society.

Imagine my frustration working on a policy to recycle electronics, where nearly every product is designed with obsolescence in mind in order to get people to buy another one in 18-24 months. In 2005, people created the same volume of electronic waste as they did in the entire 20 previous years.

How bout them apples?
*sigh*

10:21 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I know! I'm not even a gadget person, and I'm on my 5th cell phone in six years. But this crap, and the marketing behind it, is designed to make people think that whatever you have is hopelessly out of date six months after you buy it, and this whole consumer mentality is just spiraling out of control.

When we can afford to buy a computer, I'm going to look for one that's EPEAT (http://www.epeat.net/) gold-certified, but still...there aren't a whole lot of great options, and the pile of toxic crap that we're making for ourselves just keeps getting bigger.

But hey - that's okay, we'll just continue with space exploration and try to find another planet to f*ck up once we've tipped this one past the point of no return. Which should be any day now.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John -- Have you tried putting an ad on Craig's list for the Tivo? I imagine someone would want it. Otherwise, you can take it to your favorite thrift store (St. Vinny's?), take a tax deduction, and be pleased that whatever the charity that runs the thrift store will get some cash out of the deal too. And someone else will be stuck with your dust collector.
Do you know how hard it is to get an old printer that has absolutely nothing wrong with it, prints great, and has moderately affordable cartridges (HP LaserJet 6p), but only a parallel port cable, to work with a new computer? Yes, they do make an adapter cable, but for some reason now I always get a cover sheet with the characters "*s1m" printed on it.
One cell phone, 4 1/2 years. It still works fine, it's just not trendy. (And I don't use it a lot.)
Of course, I'm sitting here eating pita chips out of the usual plasticky bag that will inevitably end up in the ocean soup.
-- Shazza

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm... Plastic soup. Is that kind of like Potato Leek Soup?

We (humanity) are all wicked and deserve to be punished. Everything that's coming is well deserved.
Madcity

p.s. Now, I'm going to hop in my Hummer and go recycle me some aluminum cans.

4:51 PM  
Blogger John Das Binky said...

Come now, Madcity. I've seen your garage. Ain't no Hummer fitting in there.

Re: Tivo, sadly they're completely useless without the service. And if you sign up for the service, you get a nicer one than mine for free. It's an ugly business model. I'm probably donating mine to a hacker friend, who will either hack it or try to make something out of the spare parts. Maybe I could donate it to the Futuretron...

And remember, if we stop eating potato chips out of soup-bound plasticky bags, the terrorists win.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preach on, John! In that spirit, I'm going to go get me some Oscar Mayer Lunchables (mmm.... processed food product), pound a Red Bull or 3, and build a 4 car garage to hold my Hummer, boat, jet ski, and second (back up) SUV.
Madcity

11:57 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

You guys are such punks....

But what do I know? I hate freedom. And puppies.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2012 will be here before you know it, Madcity. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2007-03-27-maya-2012_n.htm (I had no idea Apocalypto dealt with this subject before reading this article this morning. Sigh.) -- Shazza

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly. If I don't do all that stuff, the terrorists win! And no one wants that! Osama? He wants me to save for my future. He wants me to worry about the "ozone layer". As a red-blooded 'Merican, I need to do all of those things, or else I might as well sign up for Al Qaeda.
Madcity

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home