Saturday, February 11, 2006

Learning Opportunities

We’re under a lot of pressure to do more work in the same amount of time, for the same amount of money, which is a very common occurrence. This usually results in an interesting series of meetings and phone calls involving TL and a cast of thousands. This has also resulted in some people, like Gifty, complaining to Mab that we’re not working with them, which isn’t true. If he’d rather spend most of his day playing computer games, I don’t have time to coax him out of it – I’ve got stuff to write. So TL has told them, quite rightly, that we’re already working every day of the week, working long hours in the office, and frequently working back at the hotel at night, as well. So for us to do more is…well, I’m not usually a defeatist type, but I really don’t see how it’s possible. He definitely has a flair for the dramatic, and these conversations usually involve pounding of fists on desks and indignant statements like “When we are to sleep? We work by night, we work every day, no one will do what we have done here!! What more they want from us?” I’ve crashed incredibly early the past couple of nights, and while I’m sure being sick had something to do with it, I also think that not having had a day off since January 4th is a big factor as well. But TL is very good at sticking up for his team – it’s actually a point of pride with him. I think this is why he’s not afraid to boot people who aren’t doing their job, it makes it easier for him to always defend his team. He’s not shy about telling Mab or anyone else how much we’ve been working and how we’re already doing everything we can to get our work done. It’s actually pretty gratifying to work with someone whose business philosophy isn’t “what have you done for me lately?”

Explain this to me: on a TV network where they will cut out any kind of kissing in movies and imported TV shows, let alone more…extensive physical contact, they show an M&Ms commercial that plays off the “green M&Ms as aphrodisiac” urban legend. Seriously, “she’s” wearing white go-go boots, swinging in little vine-covered swings, making smoochy faces, and giving the camera “come hither, ooh-la-la” looks. As much as an animated piece of candy can give such a look, I suppose. It just seems a tad contradictory. Although, I guess it’s not like she’s making out with another M&M.

Leaving aside, for the moment, that it’s totally weird to see the talking M&Ms talking in Arabic.

Because talking candy that speaks English is much less weird.

Right…

I need a hobby. I’m bringing my knitting next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home