Wednesday, March 05, 2008

C'mon, c'mon, c'mon!!!

So. Flippin. Impatient.

I have some potentially very good news, but I’m hesitant to get too into it, because I don’t have anything official yet. But there could be some exciting transitions coming up for me – yay!!! K has also started a new assignment, which will be a cool opportunity for him to learn new stuff and meet new folks. I’m really happy for him that his last assignment was also a good opportunity for him to grow and it seems like the path he’s been on since the summer has been a good one. As for me…well, I’m working on it!

We realized at the end of last weekend that if we all made it to our every-other-week small group for church this past Monday, we would have spent four nights in a row hanging out with the C’s. Which we did. So Tuesday night rolled around, and part of me thought “hey…where did they go?”

The answer was clearly “home to play Guitar Hero III”. We were introduced to this game by them this past week, and although I generally loathe video games in all forms, I have to admit, it was pretty fun. Mrs. C has been practicing and is a formidable opponent; Dr. C actually plays the guitar and is very musically gifted (as evidenced by his kick-butt take on Jimmy Hendrix’s rendition of the Star Spangled Banner in church yesterday); K dabbles in guitar and is also very musically gifted as a drummer; then you have me – I know what kind of music I like, and I like to think that I can carry a tune (debatable – but I sound amazing in my car). But to actually play an instrument is completely beyond my skill set – I “played” the flute in fourth grade, but never learned to read music. And I didn’t want to practice. Probably because I never learned to read music. So basically, I spent a year playing at playing the flute. And then my band teacher busted me one day, and shortly thereafter, I abandoned my career as a flutist. Fortunately, my parents had only rented my instrument for the year instead of dumping cash into what turned out to be a truly pointless endeavor.

I didn’t suck horribly at Guitar Hero, which was a pleasant surprise to me! But I can follow a song if someone tells me what color button to push at what time – this doesn’t mean that I have any undiscovered musical gifts. (Maybe...)

K’s new assignment has him getting to work even earlier than before, so I rolled up into my office around 7:30 this morning. This is when a lot of people I work with are just getting up. Needless to say, it’s pretty quiet at that hour. I’d like to say that I used it effectively to be a whirlwind of productivity, but I don’t – I catch up on e-mail and Scrabulous for a little while. I mean, yes, I do work – I still have a job to do after all. But when it’s 7:30 in the morning and I’ve been up for a couple hours already, my brain does protest a little. K and I have both noticed that basically every time we sit down these days, one or both of us falls asleep. I think this may be a sign of sleep deprivation but hey – I’m no doctor.

However, we did manage to stay awake for an entire movie last night - very impressive, since I’d been trying to watch the SAME episode of “Simon and Simon” (they had a tie-in with Magnum, P.I. at one point, apparently) and fell asleep three times before making it through. So this is progress, yes?

4 Comments:

Blogger John Das Binky said...

Ah, Guitar Hero... if it weren't so addictive, then I'd be a lot further along in my tennis elbow rehabilitation, and a lot more ready for our band's upcoming gig. Playing a plastic guitar-like thing does very little to help you with playing real guitar.

It's also gotten me back into speed metal which can't be a good thing... (link to my speed metal cover of Time After Time in there.)

Embrace the old army saying... we do more before 9 am than most people do all day, or something like that. I love working in the AM. Or I did before my kids woke me up all the time during the wee small hours. Damn gnomes.

2:04 PM  
Blogger jered74 said...

I'm assuming that Not sucking at Guitar Hero is not the potentially very good news you were referring to! Hope it turns out well, whatever it is.

I'm reminded of the South Park treatment of Guitar Heroism. Indeed, playing a plastic guitar-shaped controller is not quite the same thing. But fun is fun!!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Stef said...

Simon & Simon! I had a crush on whichever one was the cute one - not the one who became Major Dad. And wasn't there some geek with a robot???? My brother really liked him. But my brother was about 5 at the time.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Brunette said...

Stef, the cute one was Jameson Parker - who sometimes guest-starred on Major Dad! I guess he was like the Peter Scolari to Gerald McRaney's Tom Hanks.

Mandy, Guitar Hero has become a major part of my life. Maybe too major, judging by my carpal-tunnel-ravaged fingers!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home