Wednesday, February 15, 2006

In Contrast

Just as everyone at home has been getting tons of snow, it’s been getting warmer here over the past few weeks. It’s not hot – the weather outside is actually fairly mild, but it’s definitely warmer. As I sit here in my stuffy, non-climate controlled office, shedding as many layers as forced modesty will allow, I’m convinced that being here later in the year will be miserably uncomfortable. I really don’t know how it’s possible that all the women here aren’t rail-thin – I would think that they’d spend a good six months out of the year sweating off about 10 pounds a day. I’m so thankful for a couple of paper-thin, long-sleeved cotton shirts I bought before leaving for Pakistan. I never wore them there, but they’re handy to have here!

I went running again last night, and I feel really good this morning. Regular exercise really does make a difference in how I feel and function – but I only realize it when I’ve been slacking for a few days (sometimes weeks…) and start again. I seem to have hit a wall, though. I can do two miles, but at the moment my body is very opposed to the idea of me doing much more than that. I suppose I’ll have to beat it into submission. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

There is, apparently, quite the traffic jam going on outside my office window. Horns honking, people screaming, loud popping noises, all that good stuff. Did you know that Yemen is the most heavily armed country in the world (per capita, that is)? Seriously – four firearms per person here – can’t remember who told me that, but it’s not hard to believe. Charlton Heston would fit in well here. The gunshots are probably from the military installation across the street, however. As long as they’re not from anyone who is interested in taking aim at me, it’s all good.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Cheney would *love* it there!!

Have you heard about what our VP did? John Stewart has been having lots of fun!!!!

MUCH LOVE!!!

St

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was JUST going to tell you about that crazy VP of ours! I'm curious what, if anything, the rest of the world has to say about it!

I can hardly call the accident a hunting accident however. I mean, he's DRIVING in a field of quails RAISED to be shot...

Somehow, that method seems to fit him.. go figure...

anyway send some of your warmth my way, and I'll send you some snow...

9:29 AM  
Blogger Brunette said...

Heh- I just emailed you about Cheney! Lots of great minds think alike...

Really, why does a country need four firearms per person?

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing I see wrong with that is that people need at LEAST 7 fire arms per person; two for hunting (buckshot and slugs), three for personal protection (one in the under coat holster, one in the pant leg, one tucked under your belt), one for sniper protection, and one for just shootin' off when you feel like havin' fun! And really, that's where the automatic rifle comes in handy.

The real problem here is the Dick Cheney misused his "huntin' rifle" for "personal protection". Everyone knows if you're going to shoot a lawyer, you need to use a .357 at a minimum. Of course the prefered way is to also shoot them in the back. They're use to it anyway. I'm surprised Dick didn't know this already. He's had lots of practice....
MadCity

10:05 AM  
Blogger wstachour said...

Cheney actually shooting another person. And then trying, first, to keep it bottled up, and then to enlist regular folks to blame the victim.

Folks, it doesn't get better than that! (Unless it was W. that he shot, that is...)

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too funny - I was just going to ask you if you'd heard about dear Dick. Thank God the press is having a heyday with this. I just keep thinking/hoping/wishing "nails in the coffin, nails in the coffin." Just hope people remember this come November.
AS

8:21 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Oh, I've heard lots and lots about the shooting incident - I've still got internet news and CNN. It's terrible that a man got shot, and I'm sure it was a traumatizing incident to witness, but MAN, comedians all across the US must be just LOVING this. I also thought "this has to be a joke."

MadCity - you frighten me. You are one sick, sick little puppy. But you're handy with a grill, so we'll keep you around.

I don't see nearly so much about this on the international news networks, but I'm sure it's getting some amused coverage.

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give pilates a try...lots of people find taking a break from pushing themselves into running helps you out in the long run. I LOVE me some pilates!

Marie

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home