Thursday, January 25, 2007

I've Always Been A Quick Healer...

Turns out that it’s entirely possible that the pain in my leg, which is far less than the worst my pain has been, is part of the normal healing process. The analogy my doctor used was this: when you slam your fingers in a door, they continue to hurt after you’ve removed them from the door. The nerve was being pinched for quite some time, so some residual pain could be normal, and the fact that my strength is coming back and the numbness is fading is very positive. So he gave me some stretching exercises to do and said I don’t need to see him for another month. This was all very good news, and having something to do about it is good for me. Special K pointed out, quite rightly, that it will be hardest for me when I’m feeling better and still have to deal with these restrictions on physical activity. I will feel fine, and will still need to ask him to pick up my gym bag for me. Argh.

Now that that’s out of the way, I have a ton of work to catch up on. While the previously-mentioned troika of family events may certainly explain a lapse in productivity, I really need to get off my arse. Again, it’s all about justifying my existence in the world of consulting. Although I did have a client write to me today and ask for something they were given months ago because they wanted to review it. After metaphorically banging my head against the wall (I did enough of that fo’ real last week), I sent it and cc’d the only person who could put the smackdown on someone having the cajones to do this almost three months after comments were due to me. This whole experience has made me appreciate my previous client all the more, because although the project was a monster, they were all kinds of responsive. This time around…not so much.


What I’ll really need help with, literally and figuratively, is going back to work in a week or so. Literally, because I can’t carry my laptop – the combined weight of that, the bag, my purse, and my planner, far exceeds the 10 pound limit. Figuratively because I’ve got to get used to the commute and the long hours and all of that stuff again. Not to mention being dressed in real clothes (not jammies) and showered before noon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better! The stretching stuff will probably help a lot. I had similar problems from other surgeries (albeit, not as severe as your's sound). Just remember, as a Badger, a Badger ALWAYS wins, be it against Michigan (moral victories count)or against back problems.
Madcity

10:16 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

FanTABulous!
I am glad it is only a "slammed nerve"
- major hugs (gently delivered) from me and the clan

love,
d

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home