Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Almost

There’s a word that we always do a find-and-replace search for in my office before we send out a document. It’s a good idea to do on general principles, but particularly with the type of work I do, and the type of things we discuss, it’s a very common typo that we’d prefer not to make. And I almost did it today:

EPCRA contains provisions for emergency planning as well as pubic education

Well, that would have been awkward, wouldn’t it?

Although, we did send a document out and after it was reviewed by many, many people, I was the only one who caught the EPA being defined as the Environmental Procreation Agency. (Fortunately, we cleaned it up before the client saw it for the second time.)

So really, I think that as long as most of the letters are correct, people’s brains will skip over those things without meaning to. But you hate to be the author when they don’t.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I do the same thing, especially b/c in our publications and correspondence we often talk about Public Oral Health. :)

Jenny

5:47 PM  
Blogger Stef said...

I spent 3 1/2 years working at Pittsburgh Public Theater. We had to be VERY careful. Wouldn't want to give people the wrong idea about the kind of shows we did!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Onyah said...

After sending out a few thousand postcards with that very typo, we in the public affairs office had our IT guys go into our computers and remove 'pubic' from our dictionaries, so that it shows up as a misspelled word. I have no idea how they did it, but it's been a godsend!

9:53 PM  
Blogger MrReRe said...

I guess it's probably safer to talk about a Public Hair than to mention Pubic Health!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever see the spoof Apple ad where the boy is showing his friend all the cool things he can do with his dad's Mac, including changing the name of the Public Library? Classic. Probably on YouTube at this point...

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always the one who sees those things, too. . . . Did you know that the ability to spell is almost always found with high levels of intelligence, but the inability to spell is not necessarily linked with lack of intelligence? (I know we're talking typos here, but I thought I'd pass that tidbit on too.) -- Shaz

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home