Friday, June 15, 2007

Mmm, mmm

A good friend of mine, with whom I happen to work, and I took the opportunity to spend some time together today. We’re both working on the same project, which will be developed downtown and since we are writing a section that deals with the socioeconomic impacts of the project, we figured that we needed to actually go and see what’s around there, since we can. It’s fine to hypothesize a little more when you’re living in New York and writing about something in Florida or something like that – gather your data through phone calls and the web, etc.

But when you live right there, it’s just laziness that will prevent you from going. So we went.

It was actually very helpful from a project standpoint – we were able to draw some conclusions about local businesses and things like that. Plus, we spent a few hours out walking, which is always good (I just wish I’d worn better shoes), and we got to talk and spend time together, which we don’t get to do as much anymore. (We used to share an office. It was great. Not that I don’t like my current officemates, however – I’ve lucked out most times.)

We had wanted to go to Red Sage for lunch as a treat – it’s a Tex-Mex style restaurant near Metro Center and the Mall – very tasty, and not a place we get to go very often. And very not open right now. Not sure if it’s closed/closing or renovating or something else. But that was a disappointment. But luckily, Ceiba was on the next block. Ceiba is a Caribbean/Latin fusion restaurant, and hurrah for fusion. We sat down to some crispy baked flatbreads with a pumpkin seed puree that is supposed to be analogous to a Caribbean-style hummus. Whatever it was, it was good. I then ordered a pumpkin seed-crusted tilapia, served on a bed of roasted red pepper and sweet plantain puree, with a roasted corn relish. That did not suck at all. My lovely partner in crime had some pumpkin ravioli with sage and brown butter that was also very, very delicious. So we were two happy campers by the time we hit the streets again to head back to work.

I really want to go back. I think Special K would like the place, and I think I might like a cocktail next time – so we’ll have to see about that.

So yeah – Ceiba – lurve it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home