Thursday, March 06, 2008

Cultural Perspective

K and I watched a fascinating movie the other night called “The Lives of Others”, it’s a German film that won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 2006. And holy crap was that a great movie. It’s about a Stasi (state police) officer in East Berlin in the 1980s who is conducting surveillance on a playwright and author, and his girlfriend, and how he becomes emotionally involved in their lives. I was telling a German guy that I work with about it, and he said that he’d seen the movie and thought it was excellent, and then kind of sadly said “yah…the Germans are very thorough about everything we decide to do. Sometimes this is a very bad thing…”, and then he mentioned the Holocaust, the actions of the Stasi, etc.. I thought that it was an understatement, perhaps attributable to a loss for words, perhaps attributable to English as his second language, but it made me think about the uneasy peace that most of us have to strike with our own country’s histories. Because the Germans weren’t the first, or sadly, the last, to perpetrate genocide – just ask the Native Americans. Or the Rwandans.

I can acknowledge that my country has done, and continues to do, some terrible things here and abroad. Things that I find to be unconscionable and profoundly disturbing. Does this mean that I’m ashamed of where I’m from? No…no, it doesn’t. Does it mean that I’m proud of our actions? No…doesn’t always mean that, either. It means that I disagree with actions taken by my government, presumably on my behalf (in that larger, I-am-part-of-the-American-public sense), and that I want I want that to change, although I often haven’t the slightest clue as to where to start. But why do I bother to talk about it or think enough to disagree with it in the first place? It’s because I care about my country and I think we can do better. It’s for this exact reason that I hope for better - because I know we’re capable of it. If I didn’t care about my country and where I’m from, presumably I wouldn’t care what my government did. But then I also probably wouldn’t call it “my government”, either. There’s been a notion in recent years that disagreeing with the government is considered unpatriotic – that it’s something undertaken by people wanting to undermine America. I think that’s an insult to thinking people, and that if you do care about your country, you have a moral and ethical obligation to speak up when you see it doing something that you feel is wrong. Because squelching dissent and smothering people’s ability to express themselves is something that this country has always supposed to have been against. It’s what separates our country from what we claim to strive against.

In any event, it was a highly thought-provoking movie, and one that I would strongly recommend. A fascinating and humanizing look at life in East Berlin in 1985, and well worth the 2 hours.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stef said...

Oh, there's a great quote about exactly this idea.... let me go find it....

8:06 AM  
Blogger Stef said...

Oh, I couldn't find the one I was thinking of - something about praise the country when she's right, correct her when she's wrong - but I did find lots of other good ones!

“It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from the government.”
- Thomas Paine

“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

“I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”
- James Baldwin, Notes of a Native Son

“It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.”
- Benjamin Franklin

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt

8:21 AM  
Blogger stgoebel said...

Can I just get something off my chest? And I'm sorry if I offend anyone...

As a Christian, why must I always be for the Republican candidate? Pardon me, but the current administration grieves me in many areas. After the last State of the Union address, someone asked me, "Did you see Bush last night? Wasn't he cute?" I don't think it's cute to watch someone lie and not be able to speak clearly. I was actually told a couple of weeks ago that (for REAL) people think Obama is the anti-christ. I was shocked. Are some Christians that narrow-minded and ignorant? Must homosexuality and abortion be the only issues I care about?

In some circles that I roll in, I don't fit.

I'm thankful for hope... and for change. I hope things do.

St

6:51 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Stace - I couldn't agree more! That's why I think Jim Wallis and the new evangelical movement are so interesting to me. He calls attention to the fact that there are lots of issues that are important, and should be, to Christians, including caring for the poor the way Jesus did, social justice, peace, caring for our planet since it's a gift from God, and lots of other things.

And just for the record, if you're going to claim to be pro-life, how about NOT mocking a woman on death row begging for her sentence to be commuted so she can stay in prison and start a ministry, and how about NOT starting a war that kills thousands upon thousands of people for a lie to cover up a personal agenda. Because to do that and then have it make headlines that you're "thinking" about stem cell research (why should it be news that he's thinking? Shouldn't he think about ALL HIS DECISIONS???) because you're so profoundly troubled about its impact on the sanctity of life...well, it makes you a giant freaking hyprocrite.

*deep breath in, deep breath out*

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home