Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A New Feature

This blog is best described as free-form, at best, but since I do take public transportation to get to and from work, and since I am a freak magnet, as I’ve previously documented, I figured it might be fun to include an occasional item about “The Weirdest Person I Saw on Metro Today.”

*ahem*

Both candidates are from yesterday. The first was a companion on my morning commute, who was wearing a full-length down coat (quite sensible, as it has been ass cold for the past few days here). Apparently the down had shifted in her coat, and she wasn’t satisfied with the distribution. So she proceeded to take her coat off, and pull and tug at it, in between getting up and shaking her coat out from every possible angle. For the duration of the time we were on the train together, which was approximately 30 minutes. Now, this isn’t necessarily “funny” weird, as she may have OCD or something, which definitely isn’t funny. But there were more than a few raised eyebrows on the train as she got up and down and up and down and just couldn’t leave that stupid coat alone. If it’s that problematic, I would venture to guess that it’s time to get a new coat.

The second, and the winner, was on my evening commute. There has been a trend in the past 10 years or so toward funky, odd, fleece-y winter hats in all kinds of wild shapes and colors. I have no problem with these (even if they’re not my particular aesthetic). This particular individual, who I initially saw from behind, was wearing a hat that looked like a skull cap, with these odd, violently-colored limbs extending from it that looked as though her head was an exploding box of crayons. I was overcome with curiosity and made my way down the train so that I could see the rest. While certainly unskilled, her makeup was actually anticlimactic, because there are plenty of people who draw two single lines on their foreheads and call them eyebrows, and apply blusher to their cheeks with abandon. While her mismatched but exuberantly-colored socks were a treat, nothing really compared to the awe-inspiring spectacle of her hat.

Or would it best be called a headdress?

In any event, that’s all I’ve got for today, but I’m quite sure there will be more to come.

And, scene…

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll add my own Madcity nomination. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: Will Sandstrom, candidate for Mayor (seriously)

http://finnics7.blogstream.com/

The bio alone is worth your time. See you soon!
Madcity

2:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I vote for headdress!

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two words: camera phone.

This could even result in you getting a nomination for your own award, as "crazy chick photographing the weirdos".

And my vote goes for OCD woman. I want to buy the limb hat.

As an aside, public transportation in the NY area (B&T side, anyway)really doesn't have the same weirdo quotient, since EVERYONE takes it. *Sigh*

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen that hat, quite a few times, on various ski slopes. Though it's most commonly found on the under-5 set. I believe it's so that parents can find their kids. -- Shazaam

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home